Making a Character #
You play as young initiates of a free company of knights in a setting akin to the real Dark Ages. Think of a world with an Arthurian flair: grand castles, mighty moats, and Christian overtones. You are all beholden to a king who holds the seemingly divine right to rule over lands.
There are no fantasy races here. You are all some manner of human.
You have three Attributes:
- Thews modifies to-hit rolls and damage rolls in melee combat
- Wits determines when they can act in mutual surprise
- Charisma adds to reaction rolls from NPCs
Roll 1d4 once per Attribute to know the modifier of each.
Characters’ Starting Info #
Unless otherwise stated, you begin with the following:
- Slaying of 8, your ability to strike foes in combat, adds to a 1d20.
- Evasion of 10, your ability to avoid attacks in combat, adds to a 1d20. 2
- Movement of 40m, your travel distance in feet per turn while exploring underground. 3
- Speed of 16 m, your maximum travel distance during a single combat round.
- Save of 6, your ability to avoid misfortune and harm, adds to a 1d20 + Class level. 4
- Move Silently of 6, your ability to avoid the witness of another, adds to a 1d20.
Adjust Evasion, Movement, and Move Silently, by your equipment.
- A Holy Charm, for turning undead
- 5 rations
- 3 torches
- 4d10 silver
You know your mother tongue and its appropriate script.
Choose one from below. You can’t multiclass.
- 12 Hit Points (HP)
- Slaying of 10
- +2 to Saves vs instant death
- Cleave. Upon slaying an enemy, you are granted another attack.
- Light Armor
Cunning thieves and spies.
- 6 HP
- Move Silently of 8 + Thief Level
- +2 to Saves involving nimbleness and agility
- When rolling to search rooms, open locks, or disable traps, you add Wits and Thief Level to the roll.
- Fine tools
- 30’ of rope attached to a heavy hook
- additional 4d20 silver
Skilled trackers and foragers.
- 8 HP
- Move Silently of 8 in the wilderness
- Unable to lose the party during bushcraft
- Less likely to face danger while bushcrafting
- Oiled Cloak
- Quiver with 10 arrows
- 4 HP
- Save of 8
- Fluent in 2 additional languages
- creature contracts—knows 1 creature’s true name
- The spell Glossolalia.
- Parchment journal with writing implements
- Random wand with 1d20 charges
- A dagger
Weird, potion-making hermits.
- 6 HP
- Start with 1 permanently bound familiar
- candle magic — can craft 1 color
- Potion brewing — knows 2 recipes
- Hovering broom (slower than a horse and can’t fly, carries 10 slots)
- candle in the color of known recipe
- a random potion you know
- 10 HP
- Songs of Beguilement (Uses Charisma)
- Add Bard Level to Duel rolls too
- Move Silently of 8 in settlements
- Instrument of Choice
- 8 Throwing Knives
- Padded Boots
Slaying only adds Fighter Levels to the 1d20 roll. You can only add Hunter Levels to Slaying with missile attacks. ↩︎
Evasion only adds Bard, Fighter, or Thief Levels. ↩︎
2m is equal to 1" at the table. ↩︎
Saves add all Classes’ Levels. ↩︎